Just before the holidays, we released Flex-IO! It’s our “read and write” IOPS accelerator for non-persistent VDI. We have since done our full blown launch on the product and have accounts in production and many accounts in active POC’s.
I just wanted to review the process of how easy it is to measure your existing IOPS today, layer on Flex-IO on top of existing storage, measure your IOPS after and then point your non-persistent VDI pool at the newly created storage.
Here’s all the process entails
- Pick a storage volume you want to accelerate IOPS and reduce latency on.
- Put a persistent windows 7 desktop on this storage volume (should NOT have an open snap shot).
- Run IOmetter with our recommended VDI best practices configuration. – http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/iometer/iometer‐2006.07.27.win32.i386‐setup.exe?download http://download.liquidwarelabs.com/Flex-IO/iometer-80w-20r.icf
- Record your IOPS and Latency.
- Download Flex-IO from our Website – http://www.liquidwarelabs.com/download
- Install Flex-IO on a Windows 2008 R2 Server, 1 CPU 2 GB RAM and 3 GB of free disk space works fine.
- Login to https://<server>:4443 – using the local windows administrator account or an Active Directory domain admin account.
- Provide Flex-IO with Virtual Center administrative credentials.
- Click Deploy Flex-IO.
- Pick a host that can see the storage you picked in step 1.
- Click submit.
- After about 5 mins you will have a new datastore called <flex-io-esxi-hostname>.
- Power down your VM from step 2 and migrate it to the new Flex-IO storage <flex-io-esxi-hostname>.
- Measure your IOPS again and record your IOPS and latency.
- Edit your non-persistent pool pointing it at your new datastore called <host-name-flex-io> and you should start seeing faster login times and faster application load times!
(If you want to see screen shots around this process you can view the manual here – http://www.liquidwarelabs.com/docs/Liquidware-Labs-Flex-IO-Admin-Guide.pdf)
What is really exciting about this technology is the level of automation that has been done. All virtual center related tasks have been fully automated. You should be able to measure IOPS, install Flex-IO and measure IOPS all within an hour!!
Our download of the product is frictionless (besides a form to fill out) give the product a spin for yourself and let us know how it goes!